Monday, August 16, 2010

Beyond The Highland Mist, by Karen Marie Moning



I just couldn't do it, I simply could not finish this book. I tried, I wanted to like it. Highlanders, History, God's, and Time Travel, it sounds intriguing. Right? I managed 283 pages of 375.

At moments it was almost... well, good... I guess. Then it would taper off, and become the epitome of erotic cheese.

And what was with the all the cliches? Can you actually picture a buff, beautiful scot, from the 16th century saying phrases like 'Tit for Tat', and 'What's good for the goose, is good for the gander'.. Bah! Please. I aslo can't fail to mention the deplorable vocabulary. Throwing in the odd, 'och' and 'wee' or 'lass', does not make for authentic Scottish prose.

This book attempts wit, and failed more than suceeded. It attempts originality, but became silly instead. At moments it bordered entertaining, then completely lost my interest. Eventually I had to concede, this was not a book for me.

Happy Reading... 

1 comment:

  1. I finished this book, I did have some trouble with it thought. But in the end I can say it was an okay book. Also, I do agree with you on some things, och and lass doesn't make a Scottish book, and the whole tit for tat, goose and gander thing made me crack up when I read it!

    ReplyDelete